Common Toxins for Dogs

We talk about dogs as our best friends. They are part of our family. So, it is easy to think that they can do what we do, but that isn’t always the case. Sometimes foods and common products in our house are harmful for our furry friends and should be kept out of reach.

While we want to treat our pets once in a while, it is important that you don’t treat them with human food. Only give your dog products that are marked as suitable for them.

 

Is Chocolate toxic for dogs?

 

Chocolate is toxic for dogs due to the stimulant theobromine in it. Dark chocolate has more of this in it and it is toxic for dogs, causing kidney failure. It’s best to keep your favourite treats out of reach.

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, then you should take them to your Best Friends Vet straight away.

 

Is Xylitol (Artificial Sweetener) toxic for dogs?

 

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is used in many products, especially low-sugar ones which are more popular these days. There are many foods which have xylitol as an ingredient including cakes, sweet treats, drinks and chewing gum. It is best to read the label to check if it is an ingredient.

For dogs xylitol is toxic, causing them to go into hypoglycemia which has been linked to liver failure and blood clotting. If you think your dog has eaten something that contains xylitol, then you should take them to your local Best Friends Vet Branch immediately.

 

Are grapes, sultanas, raisins and currants toxic for dogs?

 

Grapes, both fresh and dried as currants, raisins and sultanas, are toxic for dogs and can cause kidney failure and liver damage.

As dried fruit they are often used as an ingredient in cakes and other sweet baked goods, so it is important to be careful to make sure that your dog doesn’t eat anything that has these foods as an ingredient.

 

Is pine oil toxic for dogs?

 

Pine oil is an ingredient which is often used in common household cleaners and disinfectants. It is toxic for dogs, even in small amounts. This means if dogs walk across a newly cleaned floor and then lick their paws they could be affected. It can also be absorbed through the skin.

It affects their central nervous system, kidneys and liver. Symptoms include trouble breathing, vomiting, difficulty swallowing or irritated eyes.

 

If you're concerned your dog has been poisoned, contact your local Best Friends Branch immediately.

 

Thanks for reading, if you liked this, share it with your bestie

Enjoyed this? Here are some more to sink your teeth into..

Pet Health

Kennel Cough

Read this article